Tuesday, February 17, 2009

C is for Commonwealth

http://www.commonwealthgastropub.com/


Type of restaurant: English GastroPub

I had: Fish and Chips
He had: A burger

Thoughts: Cool ambiance. We’d both been wanting to try this place since it opened in Columbia Heights. We went for lunch on a weekday. It wasn’t very full at all. They had a nice beer flight, although they were hesitant to serve it…not really sure why…My fish and chips were pretty good, but nothing amazing to be in an English restaurant. The battered pickles were a nice touch although I don’t eat pickles. Allister said they were good. The tartar sauce was good and tasted very authentic. Allister’s burger was a typical pub burger I suppose. The patty was very thick, as was the bread. It was one of those burgers where you’re like, hey, how do I eat this? My mouth isn’t that big! The bread was also pretty dry and I don't think he was too impressed with the taste.

Overall opinion: Slightly disappointing after all the hype honestly. I was hoping for something a little more tasty. If you’re supposed to be serving authentic English food, then your fish and chips should be on point. They’re not that hard to get right. The burger also left something to be desired which should have been pretty simple as well. I’d give it a 6/10 only because the beer flight was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment